Saturday, August 28, 2010

Let it go

I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it still irks me.  Having to explain that, yes, in fact, I make money by going to school for my PhD.  YES.  THEY, pay ME.

This is a revelation for...well, nearly everyone it seems.  I've been in grad school for 3 years now.  I think my in-laws are just finally starting to believe that I, actually *gasp* contribute to my household income, and in fact, have not been draining my poor, over-worked husband for my educational whims all this time.  Stunning.

Yes, that's right folks.  If you haven't heard of this before, let me lay it out for you.  I got a master's degree.  In Geology.  It cost me exactly: $0.  IN FACT, they paid me $14k per year, paid for my tuition, AND paid my health insurance during that time.  No, I did not make bank.  Yes, it's a pittance.  But it helps.  AND, I'm not paying for my education.

My PhD is a similar arrangement, but now I think I make close to...wait for it...$15k per year, still tuition and health paid by the department.  Well, until this semester that is.  As I'm on a kind of, forced semester-long maternity leave.  But! when I'm a full-time student...I get paid to go to school.  I know.  Take a moment.  Let it sink in.  Process that.

We good?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About this Blog

I have a journal. You know, the real kind...paper, bound in a book form...nice leather cover. And I do write in it...every few months. I like it, but somehow I find it hard to keep up regularly. I'm at a computer nearly all the time, so I find it easier to keep up on this blog. So, that's what this blog is for. To help me journal when I'm away from my journal. A place to collect my thoughts before I lose them to the chaos of my mind.

Or see my first post here. That's why I started this blog.