Thursday, February 24, 2011

Confession Time, and Other Updates

I feel I must just finally 'fess up and admit it: I love gossip.  I love reading it.  I love partaking in it.  I just enjoy it. And yet...the whole time I feel like I shouldn't be enjoying it so much.  I mean - gossiping isn't really an admirable activity and being a gossip is definitely not an admirable trait.  And yet - it's one of mine.  For a long time I felt like I should work on improving this disagreeable feature of myself.

But you know what?  I think I'm done with that.

I'm not such a horrible gossip that no one can trust me.  I can keep my mouth shut when it needs to be.  And truthfully, I really just read celebrity gossip or gossip with my 2 closest girl-friends.  That's pretty normal, right?


Wiggles is sleeping really reasonably well at this point.  Maybe once a week now we have a midnight waking that we listen to him cry for, but mostly he makes it from bedtime to at least 4:30am.  *knock on wood!*  Tonight is his first night sleeping in his crib - up until now he was sleeping in his co-sleeper bed in his room.  And this graduation breaks my heart a little!  Not as much as when we moved him from our room to his, but it's still a little sad.  I still miss sleeping with him near me...well, I do and I don't.  I don't miss the frequent waking due to his noisy sleep habits...but I miss having him so close and being able to listen to him breathe.


While sleeping is going reasonably well, eating is still a pickle.  He's gotten rather fussy both from the bottle and the breast and I wonder if it's due to my diet.  I'm eating whatever I want again, including dairy.  And it's totally selfish, but the thought of going back on the restricted diet is just too much.  I may have to - we'll see what his pediatrician says at his next check up - it's in a week or so.


How is school going now that I'm a mom?  Like before, it has its ups and downs.  I'd say 80% of the time I'm happy with the situation.  The other 20% I daydream about being a stay-at-home mom.  Overall, I'd say that's a win for my "career" choice.


I took Wiggles into school the other day to meet his many eager fans (grad students and some of the staff) who up until now had only seen him in online pictures.  My fellow grad students were very adoring and the staff enjoyed him as well.  Then as I was carrying him back toward my office we bumped into the Director.  As you may or may not recall from this post (and you might want to read this one too), Director and I do not quite see eye-to-eye when it comes to my life-decision regarding procreation.  As my advisor had 2 students both "expecting" at the same time (me and a male student) this Director was heard to say to Advisor - "don't your students know what birth control is?".  Nice.  ANYWAY, so we bump into Director and I say brightly, oh hello - this is my son, Wiggles!  He barely cracked a smile (how he managed it with that cute face gazing up at him I'll never know) and said, "oh".  Insert awkward moment.  And that... was that.  Oh well.  I'm very happy with my life decision, thank you very much for asking Sir.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Stranger Danger

Wiggles might be starting to have separation anxiety.  We thought he might when we left him with a babysitter to go on a date last weekend, but all was well.  Even though we left after putting him down for a nap and upon waking he found himself alone with this person, she reported that he was smiley and happy as could be.

Then, last night we had another friend over - one Wiggles hasn't seen since before Christmas.  And when Wiggles woke from his nap I handed him over - he immediately seemed uneasy as I walked away from him over to the couch.  He kept looking between me and the person holding him, and then screwed up his face like he was going to cry!  It was so sad!  And cute!  He did this three times, looking back and forth, and then finally started smiling at the friend.  :)  Crisis averted I guess.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in the coming weeks as we plan on going on more dates.

About this Blog

I have a journal. You know, the real kind...paper, bound in a book form...nice leather cover. And I do write in it...every few months. I like it, but somehow I find it hard to keep up regularly. I'm at a computer nearly all the time, so I find it easier to keep up on this blog. So, that's what this blog is for. To help me journal when I'm away from my journal. A place to collect my thoughts before I lose them to the chaos of my mind.

Or see my first post here. That's why I started this blog.