Sunday, September 25, 2011

Seriously?

I'm currently a TA for an upper divisional class in our department. This means I get to do a LOT of grading and a few other things. This class is set up with some exams and one big research project broken into 3 pieces they turn in throughout the semester.  The first piece was due this past week.

Several students were late or didn't start it until the night before, despite urging from the instructor that such behavior would damage their grades. But they were "busy" and had "things".

I just don't get it.

I have a baby. He's been sick. I have a husband who is going through a mid-life crisis of sorts, attempting to find his career in life and busy doing his own school work and job searching. Which means lately I've picked up the slack on feeding this family. It's not small job. I'm planning the meals, grocery shopping, and cooking most nights lately.

I'm plain worn out.

And I'd like to say I'm better than these students, and keeping on top of my work but the honest truth is I'm not. My dissertation is suffering big time. A website I'm supposed to be developing is suffering just slightly less. I'm managed to stay somewhat on top of the grading...but I feel like that means my priorities are backwards. Because it's clear this class isn't a priority for many of the students taking it.

I'm just tired. And frustrated. And need a housewife. And possibly daycare for my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About this Blog

I have a journal. You know, the real kind...paper, bound in a book form...nice leather cover. And I do write in it...every few months. I like it, but somehow I find it hard to keep up regularly. I'm at a computer nearly all the time, so I find it easier to keep up on this blog. So, that's what this blog is for. To help me journal when I'm away from my journal. A place to collect my thoughts before I lose them to the chaos of my mind.

Or see my first post here. That's why I started this blog.