Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas

So much to say. So much has happened! We went to Rome - amazing. We didn't know it, but we may have had an extra passenger...

I took a home pregnancy test this morning. It's funny. I'd suspected I might be pregnant since shortly before we left for Rome actually. So for a little over a week now, maybe even a week and a half. I know, I know. You can't TELL you are in the first few weeks. But...well, I really thought I could. I don't know what to tell you. But even after thinking I was knocked up for a week and a half, I was still surprised to see the positive plus sign this morning. And now...I feel like we may be in waaaay over our heads. Which I think means I have a healthy sense of reality.

So why did I think I was preggo, even before a positive test? Well, it's funny...I've started thinking I'm a mittelschmertz woman. You know, the weird ones that can feel themselves ovulate? I'd started tracking it and this was the second month...you know, to see if it tracked. So far, indeed it does!

Now, we weren't trying to get pregnant. As in, we weren't charting and purposefully getting intimate at "fertile" times of my cycle. In fact...we'd only been intimate once this last cycle. We were going to get all hot and heavy in Rome but I got sick - nasty snotty, coughy sick...not exactly romantic. :) But when I was looking up cycle stuff to see about mittelschmertz before we left, I wound up curious. Our "intimate time" - you know, The Sex - had occurred 3 days before my "mittelschmertz" - supposed ovulation. Surely...SURELY sperm don't live that long? Dr. Google will tell you they can...inside a woman.

Huh. How about that. I tried to push it out of my head. I mean...seriously. Get real. And then the boobies got tender. But hey, that happens normally in my cycle. Maybe not this much...maybe not this week, but whatev. I'm not on birth control, things could be off. Then on the plane and throughout the trip I noticed I was way more sensitive to smell than Mr. Man. Hmm...isn't that...? Nahhhhh. I mean, I usually have a more sensitive sniffer...and then last night I made sugar cut-out cookies. You know...the kind with the incredibly yummy, possibly salmonella tainted, dough? Well I tasted a little of the dough...and it didn't...taste good! I mean, I was pretty sure it tasted right, but I didn't want to eat any more. Alarm bells? I think so.

And still, I'm not 100% convinced as I write this. I find myself thinking I should get another test...just to be sure. And reminding myself that miscarriage in the first 12 weeks is sadly common. So...in other words, I'm not counting this baby before it "hatches." But...we just might, maybe be pregnant.

Merry Christmas to us! (and we said Rome was our gift to each other this year)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About this Blog

I have a journal. You know, the real kind...paper, bound in a book form...nice leather cover. And I do write in it...every few months. I like it, but somehow I find it hard to keep up regularly. I'm at a computer nearly all the time, so I find it easier to keep up on this blog. So, that's what this blog is for. To help me journal when I'm away from my journal. A place to collect my thoughts before I lose them to the chaos of my mind.

Or see my first post here. That's why I started this blog.